Saturday 31 August 2013

Half the Sky



I just finished an amazing book called "Half the Sky" written by Nicholas D. Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn. It talked about all the abuse proffered to all the women all over the world. It omitted to mention the unspeakable, that some of this abuse is happening right here in North America under our noses. What really inspired me was that many of these women that they wrote about suffered terrible abuses, rapes and things that we don't even want to think of, but rose above their suffering and have even prospered. The subtitle of the book is "Turning oppression into opportunity for women worldwide". It has inspired me.

I need to make money. I need to see my kids. I have no money, no job, no skills and cancer. I don't know where to start. I have been abused for twenty years and I am insecure. Cancer treatment has left me exhausted and often confused. My memory has suffered. My only skills are management, bead-making, sewing, cleaning, bread-making and extreme fatigue. I have two years of college where I studied chemistry, calculus, business math, biology, psychology and accounting. But that was 24 years ago. I don't know where to start. My kids need me though even if for only a weekend a month. I need to find a way to make some money to pay for that one weekend a month and for a birthday present for each of them a year.

The women in this amazing book managed to do it somehow. I must be able to too.

No comments:

Post a Comment